Saturday, January 28, 2012

Movie Review: Underworld Awakening


Rating: 3/5

After about a month of hibernating inside our unit and living on takeout food, I have finally gotten the chance to get out again and enjoy myself. Work can really be a bitch sometimes, but hey, I can't complain. I was really excited about this movie (I wanted to watch it so bad months ago when I first saw its trailer). To be honest, I was never a fan of Underworld. I only saw Rise of the Lycans and a few scenes from the other Underworld movies. As I headed for the cinema, I was really excited.

What can I say about the movie? The plot was not that great. The movie was packed with action scenes more than a good flow of story. With 1 hour and 30 minutes (approx) of screening time, I think the producers would have been able to squeeze in more. A few more minutes of screen time wouldn't have hurt if it could add to the thickness of the plot too. And the end was not expected, since it came too soon and there was a huge cliffhanger, possibly for a new movie in a year or so.

As for the graphics, let's just say that I have outgrown the fear of CGI monsters and creatures a long time ago. At twenty-two, I believe that everything I see in the cinemas is mediocre. But hey, it may just be the Computer Science student in me talking. Whenever  I see a sprinkling of big bad scary Lycans on screen, what comes to mind is how poor/great the graphics was. So there, the imposing creatures didn't really have an effect on me. I can't say the same for my friend though, because she kept covering her eyes and whimpering whenever the Lycans in their true forms were shown. She said she had the creeps for such creatures, hence the cringing. (Just a quick note, I am BAD at commenting on movies especially in the graphics aspect. I'm hard to please and all that. :D)

Personally, the choice of actors were great. Kate Beckinsale (Selene) was effortlessly the hottest vampire in town (if you don't count Mia Kirshner whom I loooove). It was my first time to see India Eisley (Eve) act, and   this kid really has a future in the acting industry. I would have loved to see more screen time for Theo James (David) though. Even Kris Holden-Ried (Quint) acted his part out great.

If you haven't watched this movie yet, go and see if you agree with my review or not. :)

No comments: